|Flag of India Adopted by Congress in 1931|
table.tableizer-table font-size: 12px; border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; .tableizer-table td padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #CCC; .tableizer-table th background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;
|1st Session||Bombay||1885||WC Bonnerjee|
|2nd Session||Calcutta||1886||Dadabhai Naoroji|
|3rd Session||Madras||1887||Badruddin Tyabji|
|4th Session||Allahabad||1888||George Yule|
|5th Session||Bombay||1889||Sir William Wedderburn|
|6th Session||Calcutta||1890||Pherozeshah Mehta|
|7th Session||Nagpur||1891||P. Ananda Charlu|
|8th Session||Allahabad||1892||WV Bonnerjee|
|9th Session||Lahore||1893||Dadabhai Naoroji|
|10th Session||Madras||1894||Alfred Webb|
|11th Session||Pune||1895||Surendranath Banerjee|
|12th Session||Calcutta||1896||Rahimatullah M. Sayani|
|13th Session||Amraoti||1897||C. Sankaran Nair|
|14th Session||Madras||1898||Ananda Mohan Bose|
|15th Session||Lucknow||1899||RC Dutt|
|16th Session||Lahore||1900||NG Chandavarkar|
|17th Session||Calcutta||1901||Dinshaw Eduljee Wacha|
|18th Session||Ahmedabad||1902||Surendranath Banerjee|
|19th Session||Madras||1903||Lal Mohan Ghosh|
|20th Session||Bombay||1903||Sir Henry Cotton|
|21st Session||Banaras||1905||Gopal Krishna Gokhale|
|22nd Session||Calcutta||1906||Dadabhai Naoroji|
|23rd Session (Suspended)||Surat||1907||Rash Behari Ghosh|
|23rd Session||Madras||1908||Rash Behari Ghosh|
|24th Session||Lahore||1909||Madan Mohan Malaviya|
|25th Session||Allahabad||1910||Sir William Wedderburn|
|26th Session||Calcutta||1911||Bishan Narayan Dar|
|27th Session||Bankipore||1912||Raghunath Narasinha Mudholkar|
|28th Session||Karachi||1913||Nawab Syed Mohammed Bahadur|
|29th Session||Madras||1914||Bhupendra Nath Bose|
|30th Session||Bombay||1915||Satyendra Prasanna Sinha|
|31st Session||Lucknow||1916||Ambica Charan Mazumdar|
|32nd Session||Calcutta||1917||Annie Besant|
|(Special Session)||Bombay||August, 1918||Syed Hasan Imam|
|33rd Session||Delhi||1918||Madan Mohan Malaviya|
|34th Session||Amritsar||1919||Motilal Nehru|
|35th Session||Nagpur||1920||C. Vijayaraghavachariar|
|36th Session||Ahmedabad||1921||Hakim Ajmal Khan (Acting President for CR Das)|
|37th Session||Gaya||1922||Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das|
|38th Session||Kakinada||1923||Mohammad Ali Jouhar|
|(Special Session)||Delhi||September, 1923||Maulana Abul Kalam Azad|
|39th Session||Belgaum||1924||MK Gandhi|
|40th Session||Cawnpore||1925||Sarojini Naidu|
|41st Session||Gawahati||1926||S. Srinivasa Iyengar|
|42nd Session||Madras||1927||MA Ansari|
|43rd Session||Calcutta||Apr, 1929||Motilal Nehru|
|44th Session||Lahore||Dec, 1929||Pt Jawaharlal Nehru|
|45th Session||Karachi||1931||Vallabbhai J. Patel|
|46th Session (Banned)||Delhi||1932||Madan Mohan Malviya|
|47th Session||Calcutta||1933||Nellie Sengupta|
|48th Session||Bombay||1934||Dr. Rajendra Prasad|
|49th Session||Lucknow||1936||Pt Jawaharlal Nehru|
|50th Session||Faizpur||1937||Pt Jawaharlal Nehru|
|51st Session||Haripura||1938||Subhash Chandra Bose|
|52nd Session||Tripura||1939||Subhash Chandra Bose|
|53rd Session||Ramgarh||1940||Maulana Abul Kalam Azad|
|54th Session||Meerut||1946||JB Kripalani|
|55th Session||Jaipur||1948||Pattabhi Sitaraimayya|
Points to Remember
- WC Bonnerjee was the first President to chair Indian National Congress session held in 1885.
- Badruddin Tyabji was the first Muslim President of Congress. He chaired 1887 Madras Session.
- George Yule was the first English President of Congress. He chaired 1888 Allahabad Session.
- In 1907, the Congress was divided into two groups after Surat Session. due to rising tensions between two fractions Moderates and Extremists. The Session was suspended due to skrimish between them
- In 1916, AC Majumdar became the first President of Congress after reunification of Congress following Surat Split.
- In 1917, Annie Besant became first female President of Congress. She chaired 1917 Culcutta Session.
- In 1918, Madan Mohan Malviya proposed Satyameva Jayate from Mundakopanishad as the slogan for Indian Independence movement. It was later adopted as the National Motto of India.
- Sarojini Naidu became first Indian female President of Congress. She chaired 1925 Kanpur Session.
- In 1923, Abul Kalam Azad at the age of 35 became youngest President of Congress.
- In 1924, MK Gandhi became President of Congress. He chaired the Belgaum Session.
- In 1928, Motilal Nehru chaired the Culcutta Session. He also inaugrated the All India Youth Congress.
- In 1929, Jawaharlal Nehru became the President of Congress. He passed the Poorna Swaraj Resolution by masting the Indian flag in 1929 Lahore Session.
- In 1937, for first time, a congress session was held in a village. The Faizpur session was chaired by the Jawaharlal Nehru.
- In 1938, Subhash Chandra Bose became the President of Congress. A National Planning Committe was chaired by the Jawaharlal Nehru.
- In 1939, Subhash Chandra Bose resigned after amid protest from MK Gandhi and Rajendra Prasad replaced him after the session.
- Pattabhi Sitaraimayya chaired the first Congress session in Free India.